We are now hiring certified officers and new recruits. We are accepting applications for Virginia certified officers who will receive 100% law enforcement officer credit for up to 15 years of service with a maximum starting salary of $61,588.80. All certified officers receive a $5,000 signing bonus and salary/rank correlating to years of experience.
One year certified: Police Officer
Minimum of three years certified: POII
Minimum of five years certified: POIII
The LPD is a department that offers exciting career opportunities including K-9, Tactical Unit, Crisis Negotiations Team, Intel Unit, extra pay through off-duty, and more. Lynchburg is an exciting, vibrant city nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with a low cost of living, countless ways to enjoy outdoor recreation, and a growing downtown.
Journey To Become An Officer
Come Meet Our Recruiters!
Check back for upcoming recruiting events!
Salary & Benefits
Starting Annual Salary
- $50,003.20 starting salary for Police Officers
- 0 – 60 months of service = 8 hours per month
- 61 – 120 months of service = 10 hours per month
- 121 – 180 months of service = 12 hours per month
- 181 – 240 months of service = 14 hours per month
- 241+ months of service = 16 hours per month
- 12 paid holidays and two paid personal days per year.
- One day per month – accruable to 120 days.
- Employee, family and dependent group plans available for health, dental and prescription drug insurance.
- Paid (included in the Virginia Retirement System)
- Police Officers become eligible for full retirement benefits after a combination of 50 years of age and 25 years of service.
- Paid in-service training. College courses relating to law enforcement may qualify for tuition assistance.
- Uniforms and equipment, except footwear, are provided. Biennial (every two years) boot allowance.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Periodic physical examinations.
- Patrol Officers work 12 hour shifts.
Learn more about your career opportunities at the LPD here:
A Lynchburg Police Department Officer Candidate for Employment must meet the following criteria:
- Ability to act without direct supervision and exercise considerable independent judgment at all times.
- Be willing to sign an agreement waiving the right to use all tobacco products both on and off duty.
- Be willing to sign a 3 year employment contract.
- Possess a valid Virginia operator’s license at the time of employment.
- 20/30 vision or correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a General Education Degree Certificate (G.E.D.)
- One may apply for Police Officer at 20 years of age and must have reached their 21st birthday at the time of projected graduation from the police academy basic school.
- A high moral standard is required of all officer applicants; a conviction for any felony is grounds for disqualification.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Ability to analyze a variety of crisis and non-crisis situations quickly and objectively and respond appropriately.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
- Skill in the operation of an automobile and a good driving record. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal with people in a polite, courteous and firm manner.
- Ability to work varied shifts.