Skip to content
Starting Annual Salary
- $50,502.40 starting salary for Police Officers
- (Starting salary may be higher with creditable law enforcement experience and/or Virginia certification.)
- 0 – 60 months of service = 8 hours per month
- 61 – 120 months of service = 10 hours per month
- 121 – 180 months of service = 12 hours per month
- 181 – 240 months of service = 14 hours per month
- 241+ months of service = 16 hours per month
- 12 paid holidays and two paid personal days per year.
- One day per month – accruable to 120 days.
- Employee, family, and dependent group plans are available for health, dental, and prescription drug insurance.
Life Insurance and Retirement Benefits
- Paid Life Insurance (included in the Virginia Retirement System.)
- Police Officers become eligible for full retirement benefits after a combination of 50 years of age and 25 years of service.
- Paid in-service training.
- College courses relating to law enforcement may qualify for tuition assistance.
- Uniforms and equipment, except footwear, are provided. Biennial (every two years) boot allowance.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Periodic physical examinations.
- Patrol Officers work 12 hour shifts.