The Lynchburg Police Department Ride Along Program offers citizens the opportunity to ride along with an LPD officer for a 4 hour shift. To participate in the program please fill out a ride along application and follow these guidelines:
- The completed form must be returned in person at least 10 days prior to your requested participation.
- Please read the application carefully and answer all questions.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- The risk agreement must be signed and witnessed by LPD personnel.
- Any false information or omissions on this application may result in disqualification for ride-along privileges.
- The Lynchburg Police Department reserves the right to deny ride-along privileges for any reason, without prior notice.
- You may only request a ride along once every 6 months.
- Return your application to the LPD Information Desk (905 Court Street) in person 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call Cindy Kozerow at (434) 455-6145 to set up an appointment.
- Reminder: Your signature on the risk agreement must be witnessed by an LPD employee.
Please make sure you print clearly as most correspondence will be by email.
Ride Along Application – PDF (save and print)
Approved Ride Along Applicants – Basic Instructions
As a ride along participant, you shall play no active role in the police function. Your role is that of an observer unless otherwise directed by the host officer.
- Plan to check in at the LPD Information Desk (located at 905 Court Street) 15 – 20 minutes prior to your scheduled ride along time.
- The lobby door is locked after 6:00 p.m. and on weekends. Therefore, if your ride is scheduled in the evening, you will need to ring the doorbell at the front door. You can also use your cell phone to call the desk at 434-455-6041 and inform the officer you are there. If the officer does not answer the phone, please call our Dispatch Center at 434-847-1602 and ask them to notify the desk officer by radio on channel 2 that you are outside and need to be let into the lobby for your ride along. Please put these numbers into your cell phone contacts list now so that you can make the calls on the date of your Ride Along.
- Once you are inside, the officer will radio an officer to come get you as soon as he/she clears from a call. On a very busy day, it could take a while for an officer to come to pick you up, so you may want to bring a book to read while you wait.
- Make sure you bring your ID with you to show the officer when you check in to do the ride.
Where to park:
- If you are riding at night, you can park along Court Street near the front of the main building at 905 Court Street. Please do not park in the handicap or police only parking directly in front of the entrance.
- If you are riding during the week day, you will need to park in the Clay Street parking deck located behind the 805 Court Street building. You will have to pay to park there, so please be prepared for that.
What to wear/bring:
- As a guest of our department, please dress appropriately. We ask that you do not wear jeans and T-shirts or flip flops. Khaki pants, collared shirts and sneakers are fine. Dress for the weather and do wear a coat, gloves, hat, etc. in the winter months.
- Bring some cash with you so that if the officer stops for a coffee or a meal that you are able to purchase something for yourself too.
- No weapons or recording equipment should be taken on the ride.
- If you bring your cell phone, please keep it turned off until after the ride along has been completed.
If you are ill or have an emergency:
Please make every effort to do your ride along on the scheduled date and time, barring unforeseen emergency or illness. Obviously, if you are sick, we would prefer you call the Community Action Team office at 434-455-6070, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00p.m. to cancel and reschedule the ride.
If you have any questions about the ride along, please contact Cindy Kozerow at (434) 455-6145 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on weekdays.