- All dogs and cats over four months of age must be inoculated against rabies.
- All dogs must have a City of Lynchburg Dog License (this can be purchased at City Hall at the payment window).
- In the City of Lynchburg parks and recreation areas, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Barking dog and other public nuisance complaints cannot be prosecuted if the complainant is not willing to
testify in court.
- Citizens that decide to pick up stray dogs on their own are responsible for taking them to the shelter during normal business hours.
- Residents in Lynchburg are required by City Ordinance to obtain a license for their dog(s).
- New licenses go on sale November 1 of each year and must be purchased by January 31.
- A valid rabies vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian must be presented before a dog license
can be issued.
- Tags are required on dogs at four months of age.
- Lifetime dog licenses can be purchased for $15 and are the only tag required for the lifetime of the dog. The same requirements apply for the lifetime license as an annual license.
- Order by mail: include the required vaccination certificate; the certificate will be returned with your order.
Make check payable to: City of Lynchburg Mail to: P.O. Box 603, Lynchburg, VA 2450
- Purchase license at City Hall, Billings & Collections windows 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays.
- Annual license for fertile male or female: $10
- Annual license for neutered male or spayed female: $5
- Lifetime license: $15
- Duplicate license:* $1
- Kennel license for 20 dogs or less:* $25
- Kennel license for 21 dogs or more:* $35
- Dangerous dog: $150 (must have Registration Certificate filled out and signed by Animal Warden and a current dog license)**
- Hybrid Canine: $50 (must have Registration Certificate filled out and signed by Animal Warden and current dog license)**
- Pet Shop Permit or Dealer in Companion Animals: $50 (application must be filled out and signed by Animal Warden)**
* For additional information please call (434) 455-3850
** For additional information please call (434) 455-6058