We are now hiring for police recruit, certified, and out of state certified. We are accepting applications for Virginia certified officers who will receive 100% law enforcement officer credit for up to 15 years of service with a maximum starting salary of $61,588.80. All certified officers receive a $5,000 signing bonus and salary/rank correlating to years of experience.
One year certified: Police Officer
Minimum of three and half years certified: POII
Minimum of five and a half years certified: POIII
The LPD is a department that offers exciting career opportunities including K-9, Tactical Unit, Crisis Negotiations Team, Intel Unit, extra pay through off-duty, and more. Lynchburg is an exciting, vibrant city nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with a low cost of living, countless ways to enjoy outdoor recreation, and a growing downtown.
Journey To Become An Officer
Come Meet Our Recruiters!
Check back for upcoming recruiting events!
Salary & Benefits
Starting Annual Salary
- $50,003.20 starting salary for Police Officers
- 0 – 60 months of service = 8 hours per month
- 61 – 120 months of service = 10 hours per month
- 121 – 180 months of service = 12 hours per month
- 181 – 240 months of service = 14 hours per month
- 241+ months of service = 16 hours per month
- 12 paid holidays and two paid personal days per year.
- One day per month – accruable to 120 days.
- Employee, family and dependent group plans available for health, dental and prescription drug insurance.
- Paid (included in the Virginia Retirement System)
- Police Officers become eligible for full retirement benefits after a combination of 50 years of age and 25 years of service.
- Paid in-service training. College courses relating to law enforcement may qualify for tuition assistance.
- Uniforms and equipment, except footwear, are provided. Biennial (every two years) boot allowance.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Periodic physical examinations.
- Patrol Officers work 12 hour shifts.
Learn more about your career opportunities at the LPD here:
A Lynchburg Police Department Officer Candidate for Employment must meet the following criteria:
- Ability to act without direct supervision and exercise considerable independent judgment at all times.
- Be willing to sign an agreement waiving the right to use all tobacco products both on and off duty.
- Be willing to sign a 3 year employment contract.
- Possess a valid Virginia operator’s license at the time of employment.
- 20/30 vision or correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a General Education Degree Certificate (G.E.D.)
- One may apply for Police Officer at 20 years of age and must have reached their 21st birthday at the time of projected graduation from the police academy basic school.
- A high moral standard is required of all officer applicants; a conviction for any felony is grounds for disqualification.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Ability to analyze a variety of crisis and non-crisis situations quickly and objectively and respond appropriately.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
- Skill in the operation of an automobile and a good driving record. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal with people in a polite, courteous and firm manner.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
For more information, contact LPD Personnel and Recruitment:
The City of Lynchburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and is fully committed to the principles and practices of equal employment. The City maintains and promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with relevant State and Federal laws. The City will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, military status, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions (including lactation), sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by Federal or State law, which is unrelated to the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. The City of Lynchburg will make all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotions, reassignments, training, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination